Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Hoping to Post Post-Pelvic Pain

When a doctor asks me when the pain, uncomfortable feeling in my lower back and abdomen all began, I know an exact date to tell him/her. It was February of my Junior year in college (2008). I think it's important to rewind and share a bit of my life before this to better understand this as a chronic condition.

Pre-Pelvic Pain:
I was "young and in love". I was in college, had an amazing boyfriend, and an amazing sex life. What could be better? I didn't know it at the time, but I was lucky to be able to eat what I wanted, drink what I wanted, go to the gym when I wanted, sit for as long as wanted, and stand for as long as I wanted. Did I mention the sex? I could have sex whenever I wanted. I even peed without thinking about how often I peed or how I peed.

So, what changed? All of a sudden sex made me feel sick. It was enjoyable during, and then I would just be achey and feel flu like for at least 24 hours after. I had had a UTI before, so I assumed this was the same. I would go to the University Health Center at least once a month and they would confirm I had a UTI. I was given antibiotics, I would lay off the sexual activity for a few days, and then the cycle would start all over again.

In the interest of not writing a 10 page post I will not fast forward to the present and save all of the other details for future posts.

During Pelvic Pain:
I am 23 years old. While I am currently single, it would be impossible and incredibly painful to be sexually active. I cannot tolerate caffeine. I cannot engage in any type of exercise (yoga included). I cannot sit in my office chair for extended periods of time. I cannot sit for extended periods of time. I have a whole list of doctors but 4 I see on a regular basis; physical therapist (starting up again in a few weeks), acupuncturist, clinical psychologist, and psychiatrist. In a somewhat desperate effort to figure out what is pissing off my body so much I have been put on a strict diet: no sugars, no alcohol, no red meat. Tricky stuff- I am only on day 2 but I will try to hold out on these things for 4-5 weeks.

So, for now I can write about the Pre and the During. I have to say the one thing I want more in life is to be able to talk about the Post-Pelvic Pain. Despite the fact I have yet to come out on the other side, I have a lot to share. If I have a lot to share, there has to be more of you that have related stories!! Let me know!

Peace & Love




No comments:

Post a Comment