Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Helpful Tips to Lessen Pelvic Pain

Today at work I finally had something to keep me busy- I was brainstorming ideas for my blog. While it seemed important to make my first few posts about my struggle with chronic pelvic pain I was feeling like I should give back to the reader.

SO HERE IT IS...a few helpful tips for when the pain is present. Don't worry, I'm going to get specific because I know just as much as the next person who has pelvic pain (and vulvodynia) that there are so many different levels of pain. There is the "this doesn't really feel like period cramps, but I'm super achey in that area" pain. There is the "my back is aching and my legs feel restless and I can't get comfortable feeling". Then of course there is the "this fuckin sucks my pelvis and my vagina hurt so bad that I can't nor do I want to get out of bed".

1. Make yourself a cup of chamomile tea. Chamomile is considered to have many health benefits because of an oil in it called bisabolol. Bisabolol has anti-inflammatory and anti-irritant properties. My acupuncturist says someone with a chronic disorder such as pelvic pain should drink enough chamomile in their diet that they should start peeing chamomile. (That's an exaggeration, but it's good for you and it can't hurt).

*I would suggest chamomile tea for all levels of pain because it tastes good, it's soothing, and what's the harm and trying?

2. Ice. Ice the outer pelvic region (the lower part of your stomach) for about 20 minutes. You can do this multiple times in a day.

*Ice should be used with any level of pain because it numbs the area and takes down inflammation.

3. DISTRACT, DISTRACT, DISTRACT. My Mom's rule is that you can feel sorry for yourself for 15 minutes, but then you need to get up and find something to keep you busy. Go shopping (retail therapy can do short-term wonders), get your nails done, watch a movie, catch up on work, hang out with friends, etc., etc.

*My recommendation for this is tricky. I can sit here and write about how necessary it is to distract yourself, but when my pain is at its worst, it is extremely hard to get out of bed. This might because I'm so uncomfortable that I don't want to move, or because the millions of thoughts I have swirling around my head about sex, vaginas, pain, and relationships are impossible to ignore, and anxiety and depression provoking.

I know my body so well now because of this condition that I know when I need to give myself a little push to get out of bed and stop feeling sorry for myself. I drink the chamomile and do the ice, not because I think it will fix my problems forever, but it might help to just curb my level of uncomfortableness. I distract myself because I don't want to get tied up a psychological mess.

It's hard and it sucks. There is no other way to put it, but these are a few things that I use to help on a day to day basis. Please share any of your suggestions...my list is looking pretty short.

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment