Monday, July 26, 2010

Daunting...the blog and the pain...

How does someone start a new blog? Is the first post supposed to explain the point of the blog? Will anyone even follow my blog? Twenty-something females (including myself) are more likely to be on celebrity gossip blogs, DIY blogs, or that blog with the girl who is chronicling her experiences with JDate.

This blog is very different. I am a 23 year old woman (weird writing woman because I see woman to mean a much older adult and I'm wishing I was still in college) living in Boston. To the outsider I seem very lucky, and in many ways I am. I have incredible friends and an amazing, close-knit family. I am a year out of college and I am employed. I am not living in parents house. I love going out in Boston, trying new restaurants, and scoping out new bars. I do not have some kind of deadly disease, illness, or physical abnormality.

To the outsider, what sets me apart may seem very uncommon. I have set out to write this blog in hopes that other females will discover it and feel a sense of support for what they are going through. There are so many times when I feel like I am the only person in the world that has this problem (as cliche as that sounds).

So what is "this problem"? When I was 21 years old I was diagnosed with "pelvic floor dysfunction" and "chronic pelvic pain". I have come to terms with the fact that this diagnosis is given to a female, when all other options of diagnosis have been exhausted. To keep it short and sweet, I was once able to enjoy having sex, and now it is the most painful and unarousing thing imaginable. Of course, more detail will be given in later posts, but for now I'm just laying the groundwork.

Which reminds me of something important I must share about myself before delving deeper into my experiences. I am not a complainer. Yes, I do complain about things going on in my life but these are the usual 20-something complaints (I'm a generalizer if you have not noticed). I complain about silly things; being bored at work, the weather being crappy, needing new clothes, etc. I hate complaining about this dysfunction of mine. I don't want others to feel bad for me, especially because I am not suffering from a deadly disease.

I hope as I develop this blog, it becomes a resource for those going through the same thing as me. Anyone who is having similar problems knows how incredibly daunting it is. In just a few years, I have been to more doctors than I ever thought possible. They all promise help, yet here I am- I am not better, and I feel like I am just finally (hopefully!) beginning to get the help that I need.

This pain has consumed and effected most aspects of my life so beginning to blog about it now is a bit scary. I definitely don't want to leave anything out, so it is tough to know where to begin. For now I will have to call it a night. Eight hours sitting in a cubicle is something I need my rest for :).

More posts to follow soon!

I need to think of a cool sign off like Gossip Girl,

Alex

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to the doctor today to discuss laprascopy for what we think is endometriosis. I know what you mean about being a healthy young woman who finds sex painful and unappealing. My husband and I have been married for a little over three years and are not ready to give up our sex life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah good luck!! Come back to the site and let me know what treatments have worked for you!

    ReplyDelete